Little Bits of Life

The Start of June

I can hardly believe that it's already June! To kick off the month I thought that I would post some silly holidays that Americans have come up with. I find this such a funny thing about American culture that I haven't found in Bangladesh is that Americans come up with the most bizarre things to celebrate. I'v left out most of the wierdest ones but I thought that some of the things would be fun to do with the kids and so here I am spreading the news... :D

June 1 National Go Barefoot Day
June 4 Applesauce Cake Day
June 5 National Gingerbread Day
June 7 Freedom of the Press Day
June 9 National Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Day
June 9 National Iced Tea Day
June 13 Weed Your Garden Day
June 14 Blood Type Awareness Day
June 15 Fly a Kite Day
June 16 National Fudge Day
June 18 International Picnic Day

June is also...
Great Outdoors Month (4th week is National Camping Week)
National Iced Tea Month
Potty Training Awareness Month (thought this was relevant since Jake is trying to get potty trained... :D )


Monday I went barefoot all day celebrating National Go Barefoot Day. It wasn't much different then most other days. Unless I'm going out in a car I'm always barefoot, inside or outside. In Bangladesh most everyone was barefoot, especially the children so it's not to much of surprise that I rarely wore shoes and still shy away from them (unless they're heels or pretty climbing shoes. :D ). As a result my feet are pretty tough. When I went climbing with Phil, Joe and Dave they were always flabergasted that I prefer bouldering barefoot as long as the rock wasn't to hot. I don't know there is just something about feeling the ground beneath your feet. Whether it's out in the garden with the soil seeping through my toes or the hard ground it always brought comfort to my heart. What I love most about going barefoot is it often brings back memories of Bangladesh, running on the little divisions of the rice fields or walking around the mission compound climbing the occasional mango/guava tree. I can't help but think that if God had wanted me to wear shoes he would have created them on my feet and so I continue to grab every moment to shed my shoes and allow me feet to find some freedom.
0 Responses