Little Bits of Life

Freedom of the Press / Union Dissolution

Freedom of the Press
Since moving to America, there have been the obvious differences in culture. At times I find myself disgusted or shocked by something new and unknown which sends me running towards the familiar. Then there are those times when the US gets it right and I can hold my head up high and be proud of being a part of this astounding country. One of those things is the freedom of press that so many have fought to protect. World Press Freedom Day was May 3, since I obviously missed that one I'm grabbing this opportunity to toot the States' horn. In 2002 there was serious cause for worry as it looked like freedom of the press was taking a serious down turn on a world scale. Now in 2009 the alarm and threat is very real with freedom declining for the seventh year in a row this year. Freedom Houses International Survey studied 195 countries and out of those countries 70 (36%) were rated free (go Norway & US), 61 (31%) are partly free and 64 (33%) are rated not free. In 1999 Bangladesh was declared partly free however looking at the situation now in 2009 it is declared not free by Freedom House. Self censorship is a reigning yardstick for the journalists of Bangladesh. A yardstick which they can choose to measure and restrict their freedom with or choose to be beaten by. For an interesting look into the situation for journalists here's a link to the International Press Review on IPI's website.
The same article is also located on Free Media. (the better one if you can link to it) (page 12)

A sobering thought. Please pray for the journalists in your country that they will be guided to truth and that there words will take root into the hearts of the people and effect change. I am interested in whether anyone knows how Bangladesh measures up using the international 10-point standard. Freedom House uses a 5 point standard.

Union Dissolution
June 7th 164 years ago, Norway dissolved it's union with Sweden. Woo-hoo. I wish my great grandparents were living, I would have loved to sit down and talk to them about what it was like growing up in a country that had just gained it's independence. My great grandmother Karin Margarethe Andersen was born in Fauske, Nordland. She was born June 10, 1892 and died October 13 1985. She married my great grandfather Olaf Ottesen at the age of 19 on August 22, 1919. Great grandfather Olaf was born October 9, 1889 and died August 30, 1959. I've only gotten the privilege to know one of my great grandparents. My grandmother Helga (Masted) Bøe died only 4 years ago but it doesn't seem that long ago. One of my fondest memories was every evening going over to her house (across the yard) :D and marching around the living room to the theme song of Hogan's Heroes and spending the evening with her. She was born September 4, 1905, died March 8, 2005. Married my Great Grandpa Hans Oli Norem Bøe (who spoke no English when he came to the States!) Grandma Bøe was petite, beautiful, kind, sweet-natured, loving, and had one of the most beautiful smiles I have ever seen. (One I selfishly hope I've inherited j/k) :D God used this beautiful quiet woman to plant the first seeds of my love for grandmothers. I cannot wait to be one. To be an old lady has been a life long goal of mine. I always thought that I would automatically be one like Grandma Bøe, a woman of grace and strength. However after spending a lot of time with older people I realize that the nature that she had does not come automatically with age. Her heart was devoted to God and that changed her entire being. Her years gave her a lot of lessons to learn but the meekness, sweet spirit and kind heart came from continual trust and reliance in our God. I must remember to sit down with my Grandpa John and ask him about his parents Grandmother Karin and Grandpa Olaf. I'm sure I could learn alot from their lives too.
0 Responses