Little Bits of Life

Scribbles #6 - Revive Our Hearts

I just discovered Revive Our Hearts (www.reviveourhearts.com) led by Nancy DeMoss and team. As a woman I find it empowering living in the USA. There are countless opportunities for education, career, advancement, hobbies, etc… We are challenged to be whatever we desire, to explore, learn, be challenged, challenge others, teach, grow. We are given freedom to develop and hone our identities and personalities. Independence is admired along with taking part in growing responsibilities to our society, ourselves, our families. It is truly a privilege to live here. Being a Christian woman in the USA I find has a unique set of blessings and struggles. I fight to comprehend the balance between being a woman of dependence and responsibility. We must though, carefully and with much consideration, choose how, why, who and what we are become dependent on. Not everyone is safe to be dependent upon, but we must not under any circumstance sacrifice dependence for a life of complete independence. Complete independence leads to a life of pure loneliness, dividing self from the world and ripping away the opportunities to minister and be ministered to. Learning to be completely dependent on God and dependent on others without sacrificing or becoming lax in being responsible and proactive is a constant effort. When I ran across Revive Our Hearts I was struck with a sense that here is a fresh breeze for the Christian woman. Here is a place where I can sit beside still waters and feel the wind rush over my sore muscles. It is encouraging, nourishing, uplifting and promotes growth through the abundance of thought-provoking challenges. A challenge to be a woman, strong and feminine, as God intended. We are called to a challenging life as women. I strive to discover what that means. I look forward to learning from Nancy DeMoss and her team.

While I was on Revive Our Hearts website I was offered (as a blog writer) a copy of Nancy DeMoss’ latest book “Voices of the True Woman Movement” in exchange for blogging my thoughts about it. I’m sure I will have plenty to say about it as I start reading it. I received it in the mail today and I am sooo excited about starting it this weekend. I’m sure by Saturday I will be itching to write something.

 

Here are my first impressions….

  • I’m so excited it’s here!
  •  
  • Love the cover ~ it’s user friendly, attractive non-burn-holes-in-my-eyes yellow. Love the raised title. It’s a little bigger than I normally like my books but it’s nice that it is thinner. Doesn’t seem as overwhelming to read. Especially to someone who always seems like there are a dozen books on my shelf that I need to get to.
  •  
  • I am so excited that some of the contributors are John Piper, Mary Kassian, Joni Eareckson Tada, and Janet Parshall. Great job to the team for putting that on the front. For someone who is not familiar with Nancy DeMoss, (myself until I called up a respected good bible believing/teaching older woman in my life to make sure her teachings are respect worthy) it gives the browser a chance for familiarity to see a name that they might recognize and trust promoting and being a part of it.
  •  
  • I like the title but I’m a little taken aback by the “true woman” part of it. I feel like we are all true women, if we are women. I don’t feel like you can become more of a true woman, in the same way I don’t think you can become more saved. It’s a status that we either are or we aren’t, not really a grey area. I would have liked to see this worded a little better. For the woman who is a little iffy about what this book says about women, I feel like it implies that you can be a false woman or be part of a false woman movement if you haven’t joined the true woman movement (namely I assume the one that is starting from the organization Revive Our Hearts). I want to be clear that I don’t think that this is what they intended for the title to imply, at least I hope it’s not. I just wish that if it’s not they would have reworded it. If it is…. well I hope people don’t get bored of reading long blogs, because I’m sure I’ll have a lot more to say on that subject.
  •  
  • Woo-hoo, I can’t wait to read it. Bummer!! It’s 11:53pm and I have to get up for church tomorrow. I’m totally bummed that I can’t start reading it now.

(Etsy Find ~ Birch Bark Heart Ornament by woofbark ~ $7.95 USD)

0 Responses