Little Bits of Life

Fourth of July

Bangladesh…

SO this post is a little late. :D I didn’t get around to posting this last Saturday with the fourth being so busy. The fourth of July is one of my favorite holidays. It has always been a HUGE deal for my family. In Bangladesh we would either drive or fly to Dhaka (the capital) and celebrate at the American Embassy and the American Club. It was special (and rare) for us kids to be able to be around other Americans. The missionaries my parents worked with would be from all over the world but mostly Norwegian and so whenever we were in Dhaka we would spend as much time as we could hanging out at a enclosed club for American foreigners. As a child being American meant swimming in pools, eating hamburgers, getting to play on a playground, renting videos and being able to wear pants/shorts and t-shirts (while at the club). Every trip to Dhaka was a treat and I always looked forward to “being American”. My mom and dad did a fabulous job teaching us about American history and various customs that Americans celebrated, especially at holidays. I feel like growing up as a missionary kid I clung to my American heritage furiously because it wasn’t an everyday fact that I was aware of. Fourth of July was the epitome of what it meant to be American to me as a child. We would watch the raising of the flag at the embassy and I would stare in awe as fellow Americans all dressed in uniform would raise that flag. Then we would head over to the Club and with tons of other Americans, that I knew nothing about but didn’t matter since we were all “American”, celebrate all day. There were relay races, swimming races, playground fun, games, face painting, and the coveted “American food” (hamburgers). It was a huge deal. When I came to the States I was so disappointed that although people would celebrate, it wasn’t as big of a deal. Families might get together for a potluck and maybe watch fireworks but there wasn’t the same intense passion. I have noticed that whenever I’m in other countries, when I’d meet other Americans, our patriotism would be awakened and would create a bond of kinship. (Below picture is of the American Club… it’s changed a little since I lived there)

Columbia…

After a couple years in the States I was so blessed to become a camp counselor and celebrate the fourth with a bunch of kids. All the campers and staff would dress up in their camp t-shirts and head out to a town called Columbia in Tuolumne County, California. (http://www.columbiacalifornia.com/) Columbia is a state preserved historic park and a National Historic Landmark. It is a former California Gold Rush boom town and has been preserved to still look like one. On the fourth, we would see people dressed up in pioneer and Native American outfits, we would as a camp walk in a parade, then spend the day walking around visiting the blacksmith, candy shop, soap making shop, a various antique stores and gift stores that all looked like they stepped out of a history book. We got to mine for gold, ride a stage coach, participate in watermelon eating contests, egg tosses, races, grease pole climbing. We got to here a cannon fire a shot and listen to bands play. It was always a little funny for me because as a kid growing up this is the America I thought I knew. :D Needless to say I returned every year regardless of whether I was working a camp or not. This year has been the first in 10 years that I haven’t been up there celebrating.

Watseka…

I was so looking forward to spending the fourth in a small town with all of its charm unfortunately it rained. Boo! But it was still so much fun to spend time with family. We all got to go over to Legion Park and have a pork chop barbeque (in the rain) then we drove home, hung out for a while and watched a movie. We picnicked on the porch since it was raining still and had such a fun time. Joe made delicious brauts, corn on the cob and baked beans. I feel so honored in many ways to be a part of this beautiful country and to celebrate with my beautiful sister and family. I am blessed indeed!

IMG_1883 IMG_1881

FREEDOM

As the day wound down I spent some time reflecting on the reasons why I love this country and how I am thankful that the Lord granted me this heritage. I think it came down to two things. I am struck my the beauty of this land and the people here, both will be forever etched into my heart. Second, I get to live in a community where people are passionate about freedom (in as many forms as they can think of). Whenever I think of the freedoms we seek as humans on this earth I am always challenged to examine the difference and similarities to the freedom that God desires for us. What does freedom mean to me? What is the biblical understanding (both Old & New Testaments) of freedom? Is freedom ever attainable for those who do not have a right relationship with God? Am I free? What areas in my life and heart still need to be freed or embrace freedom?  I am overwhelmed with so much when I think of this concept. Overwhelmed by my weakness… by God’s strength… His omnipotence… the fact that God is love… how much God has changed me and what he has delivered me from. I think that the most influential work of freedom in my life that I am aware of other then the God’s forgiveness of my sins is the freedom he has given me in my relationship with him… He has not only freed me from death but has granted me so much freedom in my intimacy with him. He is truly my closest and dearest friend and the Beloved of all that I am and know. This love he shows me brings me to Him in adoration. He has freed me to be loved and to love Him in return.

“Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.” (2 Cor. 3:17-18)

“For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.” (Galatians 5:1)

 Dovebible_open_glasses

How and why are you free? Are you free? I want to encourage you let it ring. :D Share your stories with each other, the Lord will use it to bless and encourage. 

0 Responses